LRO: Re: Steering "clunk"

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 15:59:43 EDT

    Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 10:49:49 -0700 (PDT)
    From: DaveB <rovergawd@yahoo.com>
    Subject: Re: LRO: Re: Steering "clunk"

    - --- "Faure, Marin" <Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com> wrote:
    >> Could be the springs banging back and forth in their shackles. My
    > SIII did this from the day it was new, so I learned to ignore it.

    >Hang about there...you say what now? Neither of my series trucks does
    this... (reply longer than even most of mine deleted for brevity :-) )

    I said "MY SIII did this from the day it was new"...... not "ALL SIII's did
    this from the day they were new." Mine did it, I called the west coast
    factory rep in 1973, told him what was happening, he said "sometimes the
    springs do that, it's not a problem," so I ignored it, and it was never a
    problem. I replaced the springs in the mid-1980s when the originals
    started losing their arch, and the new springs do the same thing. The
    shackle bolts are tightened properly, everything is just fine, and the
    springs bang every now and then. As I'm not dealing with the 4wd
    equivalent of the Space Shuttle here, I decided to ignore the occasional
    bang since it hasn't caused a lick of trouble in almost three decades.
    The springs spring, the wheels go round, the steering steers, the brakes
    brake, so why worry? If you want to spend hours chasing down the occasional
    noise in a vehicle that's put together with pop rivets and the world's crappiest
    grade threaded fasteners, have at it. But don't get too frustrated if after all
    your efforts, the noise is still there. After almost thirty years of driving this
    thing, I worry a lot more when something STOPS making a noise than I
    do about something making a noise. Invariably, something that used to make noise
    and suddenly doesn't has broken or worn out to the point where it needs
    fixing. Something that didn't used to make noise and now does has simply
    gotten noisy.
    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88