Re: LRO: Bosch alternator for SIIa?

From: David Scheidt (dscheidt@tumbolia.com)
Date: Sat Apr 14 2001 - 11:26:41 EDT

    On Sat, 14 Apr 2001, Keith Tanner wrote:

    :Right, I'm considering converting my poor IIa over to an alternator instead
    :of the generator. I'm willing to accept the stigma of driving a hybrid :)
    :I've read the articles about using the GM alternator - but I've also heard
    :rumours of a Bosch that works as well. Does anyone have information/parts
    :numbers/instructions on this particular version? Thanks!

    Use the GM. You want the 10si with double pulley, as used in millions
    of of v-8 rear-wheel drive cars. Get one for a 75 olds 88. They're 50
    bucks, with a lifetime warranty, from AutoZone. Fit a 5/16 bush to the
    mounting hole. Get a long 5/16" bolt (7 inches, I think. I couldn't
    find one long enough, so I used a piece of threaded rod, with stop nuts
    on both sides. ) You have to move the belt tensioner from one water
    pump mounting bolt to another one. Follow Al Richer's directions (at
    http://www.ovlr.org/ ) and you're set. It's a easxy job.

    The Bosch may work great, but it'll be harder to find, more expensive, and
    every single autoparts store in NA won't have a spare.

    David

    --
    dscheidt@tumbolia.com
    Bipedalism is only a fad.