Re: LRO: RE: grim news...

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 13:30:00 EDT

    Nobody is going to accuse Rover's Down South and George of not having a
    rudimentary understanding of economics, however. I bought my Fairey Over
    Drive 10 years ago for, I believe, $450, from Rovers North. With inflation
    running at 3% or less, that should have upped the price to $622.91,
    compounding the inflation, in todays prices. Most retailers were selling
    the O/D for $750 when Super Winch announced they were out of the O/D
    business. A somewhat High but justifiable price given inflation. All the
    suppliers upped the price to $1100 on the announcement of cessation of
    production figuring on a little help from the supply/demand equation. It
    seemed a bit opportunistic but probably good business given the impending
    scarcity. At $2,000 a whack, George has raised the rule of monopoly price
    to new levels. If your the only one with the product, you can ask what you
    want. Our only defense is we don't have to buy.

    Felt $450 was a bit pricey for my budget. Especially when its only a simple
    single gear, case and rudimentary linkage that wasn't very well engineered
    and fragile to begin with.

    Unfortunately, with my new hot rod 2 1/4, I feel the need for an overdrive.
    So it looks like the O/D is going to go on the 109. That would solve my
    problem if I didn't have two 88's that I'm working on, also. Ashcroft gears
    are the only other solution but doubt even the hot rod 2 1/4 could pull an
    even higher gear than the O/D. Besides, the ability to split 3rd-4th was
    the main reason that I used to use the O/D. Splitting gears is a god send
    in the mountains. Driving 55mph on the flat in a truck that wants to go
    65mph is a livable annoyance.

    Anybody out there want to investigate making an O/D that they could retail
    in the neighborhood of a $1,000. Bill at Great Basin, where are you in our
    hour of need??? I'll take two if you can do it!!

    Peter Ogilvie
    Kona Coffee Rover
    1970 88 soft top, 'huli' Mine since '84 but recovering
         from exposure of the dark side.
    1966 109 pickup 'slime' In my garage since '90, up and running 12/00.
    1965 88 parts car, slowly sinking into the lava.
    196? 88 hard top, possibly 'phoenix' if it rises, it will
         certainly be from ashes or at least a pile of rust

    >From: SJH <SHARDING@SCHULTE-LAW.COM>
    >George is in my opinion, a top shelf guy. I ordered OD parts from him a
    >year or so ago and his prices were half or less than half than anyone
    else's. They have gone up though (that's capitalism for ya). He is the
    OD guy now given he has basically bought fairey (Superwinch) 's OD
    >department. Understand he is making Fairey OD gears over here now.....
    He has good prices on a variety of mostly SIII stuff. Gave me free
    advice, and once, even sent me some free (minor) parts. Prompt service too.
      I have to say I disagree, but then, no one is perfect, and maybe
    >you got him on a bad day. I plan to order from him when I have the $$
    Aloha
    Peter Ogilvie
    Kona Coffee Rover
    1970 88 soft top, 'huli' Mine since '84 but recovering
         from exposure of the dark side.
    1966 109 pickup 'slime' In my garage since '90, finally up and running