LRO: MB-LR Adapter and cranks

From: Coates, Clinton (CCoates@golder.com)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 11:38:07 EDT

    Alan wrote,

    >So, essentially, you're doing a Scotty's trick - replacing the arse end >of
    the motor with a flywheel cover that mimics the LR...

    I did not realize that was how Scotty did it. I got the idea after looking
    at a Steve Parker PUG diesel adapter kit...

    >Nice design

    Wait to tell me that after its build and running...

    > - that's got to be an interesting bit of CNC work.

    Actually, I think they are going to be dong it on a mucking huge lathe and
    milling machine. It is pretty basic maching...

    I am going to try to figure out a way to weld the bits of a starter dog onto
    the front pulley of the MB. IF that is not reasonable, then I will adapt a
    wobble bit to fit on the end of the hand crank to hold a deep socket to run
    into the pulley socket. I don't have any illusions about being able to hand
    crank a diesel, but I would miss the ability to wedge the engine around by
    hand. Besides, I need to have something to fill up those clips on the
    bulkhead behind the seat...

    Speaking of front pulleys, this engine has a removable/replaceable distance
    piece on the pulley where the front crank oil seal runs. Much like the
    pieces on a series stub shaft. Lots of nice little touches like that on
    this motor...

    Clinton