LRO: 30 years into the future

From: Brian Willoughby (lndrvr@ldd.net)
Date: Sat Apr 07 2001 - 10:36:39 EDT

    You know, if Land-Rovers were such junk in the form in which they left the
    factory, I wonder why so many have survived 30, 40 even 50 years in
    unmolested, original form for all the engine conversion crowd to work their
    magic upon them? It will be interesting to see in 30 years which vehicles
    are going stronger: the 60, 70 and even 80 year old Land-Rovers with their
    original drivetrains or all of these amateur conversions.

    Coincidentally, someone questioned my knowledge of Land-Rover history since
    I didn't mention any of the military or license-produced vehicles. Since
    these were factory-approved and entered series production, they simply do
    not fall into the same category as the current crop of one-off engine
    conversions being performed by individuals. There's a difference between
    the Royal Army having a fleet of Series Is fitted with Rolls-Royce engines
    for evaluation as compared to an individual taking this upon himself. Just
    because I didn't mention these, does not mean I was unaware of them. If
    the engine swappers are so convinced that what they are doing is so right,
    then why do they get so defensive and attempt to cling onto something that
    the factory did or gave its blessing to 40 or more years ago for validity?

    Brian Willoughby