Re: LRO: 30 years into the future

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Sat Apr 07 2001 - 12:39:16 EDT

    >If
    >the engine swappers are so convinced that what they are doing is so right,
    >then why do they get so defensive and attempt to cling onto something that
    >the factory did or gave its blessing to 40 or more years ago for validity?

    I can speak for myself. I wanted to go to a more powerful engine several
    years before I did. During those years I did not make the swap because I
    wanted to be accepted as part of the group. I was afraid I would be
    ostracized and being accepted was something that was important to me. So
    I stayed with a Land Rover engine.

    I'm an atypical Land Rover owner in that I actually put miles on my
    series Land Rover. American LR parts houses are convinced that the vast
    majority of North American series LRs get used 5000 miles or less per
    year. Looking at some of the series rigs that show up at local British
    car meets I can believe this claim, because they are not in dependable
    running condition and the same rigs show up year after year with the same
    problems.

    An owner who just puts on a few miles a month but depends on a different
    car for REAL traveling, can be a dedicated to something non-practical.
    Because it is their fantasy toy car and they have their real car for
    commuting and real traveling.

    For many years I have been putting a minimum or 25,000 miles per year on
    my Land Rover.

    That is why I "snuck in" such things as dual power brakes from a series
    III, the later series optional heated windscreen, the series III two
    speed wiper system (I was actually driving long distances in bad weather
    and wanted to see), and a series III 109 rear axle assembly after I broke
    my sixth stock rear axle.

    But through all my driving I have been in a very large number of
    potentially life threatening driving situations. Going as fast as I can
    I was still not going as fast as relevant traffic. Impatient drivers
    were passing on hills near the crest, on blind curves and in any number
    of dangerous situations. In highways I was always having vehicles coming
    up from behind at much higher speeds. Sometimes at over twice my best
    speed. In 1997 I got run off the road by an 18 wheeler that tried to
    pass me and discovered an oncoming 18 wheeler he hadn't seen.

    It was then I decided that an engine with more power was more important
    to me than being accepted by the American series Land Rover purists.
    Then of course in my own way I have set about trying to make an engine
    swap acceptable to the average American series Land Rover owner.

    I get upset when people deny that my car is not Land Rover at all. I
    have no problem with Land Rover/Ford or Land Rover hybrid. But the
    body is Land Rover, the frame is Land Rover the suspension, brakes, and
    axle assemblies are Land Rover as well as the prop shafts and transfer
    case. All of the volume II and part of volume I of the Factory workshop
    manual still applies. SO yes I get upset if someone denies those parts
    as having any "Land Roverness" at all.

    Even though I tend to travel alone, I guess deep down inside I still want
    to be accepted as part of the series Land Rover group. So I guess that
    is why I for one tend to get defensive.

    I feel the ONLY people who can legitimately criticize my Land Rover are
    those who put at least 20,000 miles per year on their own series Land
    Rover. The people who have their fantasy toy rigs that only go out for
    occasional short trips don't have a clue about what people who put real
    miles on their rigs go through.

    TeriAnn Wakeman If you send me direct mail, please
    Santa Cruz, California start the subject line with TW -
    twakeman@cruzers.com I will be sure to read the message

    http://www.shadow-catcher.net <- Photography for sale
    http://www.overlander.net <- Web directory for Land Rover
    http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman <- My personal web site

    "In the world of type A & type B drivers consider me a type C gypsy
    traveler. Destinations are optional and not necessarily desirable."