LRO: What's a Land Rover (was parts availability, etc.)

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 13:22:56 EDT

    Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 15:39:24 -0400
    From: Matt Peckham <matt@onexchange.com>
    Subject: RE: LRO: RE: Parts availability vs. bulletproofing

    >So does that make my Xterra not an Xterra because I am having a custom
    expedition roofrack installed as the original one (which many think gives it
    it's personality) is less useful than many originally believed?

    No, those kinds of mods make the vehicle better for your particular application,
    and it's still an Xterra. To me, the line comes when you change the engine
    and drivetrain, as those are half of what make the vehicle what it is. Accessory
    items like driving lights, roof racks, skid plates, etc. is not what I have in
    mind when I say a modified Land Rover is no longer a Land Rover. Of course
    the vehicles were intended to be modified to suit specific needs. But when
    you change the powerplant for a non-Rover engine, or at least an engine
    that wasn't used by Rover, you don't have a Land Rover anymore, you have
    a hybrid.

    >What does your bank think it is?

    The bank thinks it's whatever the serial number says it is. But if you're
    still making payments on a 30+ year old vehicle, you got bigger financial
    problems than the semantics of a vehicle name.

    >What does the DMV classify it as?

    Same thing. They classify it as whatever the serial number says it is.

    >If either of these are Land Rover, then you got a Land Rover.

    Nope, all you have is a serial number that belonged to a Land Rover. That
    doesn't make the vehicle itself a Land Rover.
    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88
      1991 Range Rover Vogue SE