Re: LRO: Coil and Flasher

From: David Scheidt (dscheidt@tumbolia.com)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 00:43:15 EDT

    On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, Andre Shoumatoff wrote:

    :If it helps, there is a Toyota part on all carburetted models called an
    :"ignitor." It can be a real annoying part because if it fries (mine lasted
    :21 years though) the replacement cost is about $280 unless you have access

    $280? You got off lucky. Dealer wanted $400 for the one I needed to
    replace. I bought a used one, needless to say.

    :to a junk yard. But if you do have access to a junk yard, it allows you to
    :use a huge variety of coils including some of the "high spark" ones which
    :supposedly save gas and give you more horsepower. I'm not exactly sure how
    :it works, but I know that it allows your points to stay in tact longer than
    :using a ballast resistor or so I'm told by the Toyota people. I have a few

    The toyota ignitor systems use points[1] to switch a relatively low current
    circuit, and use the ignitor to switch the high current stuff. So, yes,
    your pointless should last as long as the rubbing block does. (Damn near
    forever, if they're real toyota points, btw.) Someone, I think MSD, makes a
    similiar kit for other engines. I don't know if it were a Toyota original
    idea, or not.

    David
    [1] for points-type dizzies. They went to pointless distibutors at some
    point, about 1980, I think.

    --
    dscheidt@tumbolia.com
    Bipedalism is only a fad.