Re: LRO: Coil and Flasher

From: Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus (Alan_Richer@Lotus.com)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 07:50:56 EDT

    The toyota ignitor systems use points[1] to switch a relatively low current
    circuit, and use the ignitor to switch the high current stuff. So, yes,
    your pointless should last as long as the rubbing block does. (Damn near
    forever, if they're real toyota points, btw.) Someone, I think MSD, makes
    similiar kit for other engines. I don't know if it were a Toyota original
    idea, or not.

    David

    Basically it's a relay....contactless, of course.

    Many of the "performance" ignition systems sold for cars in the 70s were
    variants on circuits like this. There's no rocket science to it - basically
    a MOSFET switch or the like.

    I have schematics for a widget like this - it's on my list of "stuff to
    tinker with when I break a leg" and likely contains about 20 bucks in parts
    if that.

                        ajr