Re: LRO: Coil and Flasher

From: Andre Shoumatoff (ashoumat@zoo.uvm.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 04 2001 - 00:16:36 EDT

    If it helps, there is a Toyota part on all carburetted models called an
    "ignitor." It can be a real annoying part because if it fries (mine lasted
    21 years though) the replacement cost is about $280 unless you have access
    to a junk yard. But if you do have access to a junk yard, it allows you to
    use a huge variety of coils including some of the "high spark" ones which
    supposedly save gas and give you more horsepower. I'm not exactly sure how
    it works, but I know that it allows your points to stay in tact longer than
    using a ballast resistor or so I'm told by the Toyota people. I have a few
    from when mine went which I yanked off the 22R Toyota engine that are
    waterproof and have a supposedly high spark coil built in. Then I have a
    few which look pretty waterproof but allow any coil to be used, one of which
    is in my FJ40 now. A fellow I know had one rigged with some expensive high
    energy Porche coil which he claimed made a difference with ignition. Can
    someone shed some light on this?

    Andre