[lro] Timm Cooper upgrades. Disc brakes

From: Mark Pilkington (mark@skywagons.com)
Date: Thu Apr 24 2003 - 13:20:07 EDT

    I have my "hybrid" back from Timm Cooper. It started out as a 1967 Series IIa SWB and
    many of you have already been bored silly with with the things that I have done and
    had done to it. At present I have just got it back from Timm and Mathew at BCB
    Offroad after spending a lot on it. The main thing that I have now got are good disc
    brakes amongst other things. They make an adapter now that bolts to the end of the
    front axle and accommodates a ball-like hub just like the original, but allows a
    Defender or Range Rover disc brake assembly to be fitted to it. (All land Rover parts)
    Also I have a Series III brake servo (booster) fitted. It has front slave cylinders
    in the rear drums to improve them as well. I can skid it to a standstill on a dry
    surface with not a lot of pedal pressure. Even stopping slowly the hood (bonnet) will
    dip as it stops. The whole conversion fits inside a stock Land Rover wheel and makes
    such an amazing difference. They work very well backwards too as you would expect.
        If anyone is interested, I will list a small description each day as time allows
    of the other modifications such as.
    1) 350 Chevy engine
    2) NP-435 Tranny
    3) Limited slip rear Differentail
    4) 24 spline halfshafts in the rear
    5) Custom radiator
    6) And the smaller details that make it so neat and tidy.
        Externally it looks totally stock still, in fact inside is pretty stock with the
    exception of the larger transmission hump. It is not until you look underneath that
    you see where the work all went. I know that it is not "Original" but it is a damn
    good fun machine that looks remarkably like a 67 Land Rover 88.
    Kind regards,
    Mark