Re: [lro] clutch master cylinder rebuild, U joints, Weber rebuild

From: Alan J. Richer (mrchurchill109@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 12:16:47 EDT

    --- Rick Behning <behningr@ci.greeley.co.us> wrote:

    > How difficult is a rebuild? I am asking because I was
    > pricing new ones and
    > if it is a pain at all, I think the extra $50 bucks for a
    > new one may be worth
    > my time.

    Not difficult, but if the bore of the master is worn and/or
    ridged then a rebuild is not feasible.

    If you do decide to rebuild, then get a cylinder hone and
    definitely hone the cylinder before rebuild.

    If you want details on the gotchas - catch me off line.
    DOn;t want to bore folks with oft-told tales.

    > My drive shaft is clunking, I image that must
    > be a bad U-joint.

    Not necessarily, but likely. Definitely inspect the splined
    sliding joint also. Could also very well be little more
    than loose bolts, too.

    > That seems like an easy replacement, right? Or am I over
    > looking something?

    No, but it is fiddly if you don't have a press. Pull the
    shaft, take it to a local driveline shop and they can do it
    for you cheaply enough, as the U-joints are standard items.
    For your truck a Precision 369 is in order unless the shaft
    has been swapped for an older one (not likey but not
    impossible). If so, a Precision 344 is needed.

                     ajr

    =====
    The journey is the destination. Anything else is illusion.

    Please ignore the following advertising.....
    http://search.yahoo.com