Re: [lro] Repairing holes in roof top?

From: Alan J. Richer (mrchurchill109@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 10:39:59 EDT

    --- "A. P. \"Sandy\" Grice" <apg4@mail.pinn.net> wrote:

    > I have used "Lumiweld" (one of those 'brazing' rods for
    > non-ferrous metals)
    > and a propane torch with considerable success.

    Seconded. I've done similar repairs on roof panels, wings,
    and recently repaired a broken Range Rover door handle. The
    "rub-on" aluminum solder sticks mean it - the rubbing of
    the stick as it melts displaces oxidation and allows the
    metal to stick. You may want to use a backer paddle of some
    sort as well - a bit of scrap aluminium or the like to
    contain the puddle wouldn't hurt.

    Be very very careful with the heat - the melting point of
    the solder and the base metal are not all that far apart
    depending on the alloy involved. THe door handle casting
    was a case in point - sodding thing started to melt on me
    necessitating some very involved grinding afterward.

    Paradoxically, though, you do need a LOT of heat when
    working on large objects - ally dissipates a ton of heat
    well, so achieving fusion temperature is not the easiest
    thing to do without melting the base metal.

    ALso, do we need to remind that doing this with the
    headliner in place is a very, very bad idea? Please be
    careful...

                 ajr

    =====
    The journey is the destination. Anything else is illusion.

    Please ignore the following advertising.....
    http://search.yahoo.com