[lro] Repairing holes in roof top?

From: A. P. \ (apg4@mail.pinn.net)
Date: Wed Apr 23 2003 - 10:16:35 EDT

    "Tom Proctor" <t_proctor@advantechinternational.com> wrote:

    >I have six holes in my project roof that I need to patch. The roof is a
    >circa-SII 109 with the ribbing. All the holes are drilled through the ribs.
    >Four are about 3/16 inch diameter and very clean, the other two about 5/16
    >inch and look like stretched 1/4 inch originals (rib also dimpled from the
    >pilot on a carriage bolt). Can I fill them with some sort of brazing material
    >and a torch?

    I have used "Lumiweld" (one of those 'brazing' rods for non-ferrous metals)
    and a propane torch with considerable success. About all I've done,
    though, is to practice on beer cans, but I can 'weld' up a .50
    calibre-sized hole with the stuff and not burn through the very thin metal
    of the can. Small holes like those in your top should be a breeze with the
    thicker Birmabright. The hole has to be very clean - no paint or
    oxidation. You usually get a bronze brush with the kit. (Don't use steel
    wool or a brush....)

    Lumiweld (developed by NASA) and its clones/competitors melt around 700F
    but harden to something like Rockwell C-55 or 60. This makes any rough
    bits *very* hard to smooth out later with a file or disc.

    Cheers