Re: [lro] Repairing holes in roof top?

From: Hermen Vlothuizen (hcv@xs4all.nl)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2003 - 11:50:44 EDT

    TP> I have six holes in my project roof that I need to patch. The roof is a
    TP> circa-SII 109 with the ribbing. All the holes are drilled through the ribs.

    I've succesfully filled numerous holes like these by gluing a thin
    piece of aluminium to the backside with sikaflex 221* and filling the
    other side with some polyester filling compound.

    Hermen

    *
    Sikaflex.-221 is a 1-component, fast curing, polyurethane-based, elastomeric adhesive/sealant. It is a moisture-cured, non-sag system. Sikaflex.-221 provides a permanently elastic bond to fasten materials which have dissimilar coefficients of expansion. Packaged in 10.3-fl-oz cartridges, 20.0-fl-oz unipacs, 4.5 gallon pails or 50 gallon drums. Meets ASTM C920 Type S, Grade NS, class 25. Meets Federal specification TT-S-00230C, Type II, Class A.

    Areas of Application:
    o Vehicle bodies and cab construction including panels, underbody components, and roofing.
    o Front and rear spoilers, auto trim, moldings, body seams, and welded joints.
    o Waterproofing exterior lap seams in many applications, including truck trailers, RV's, metal roofs, window perimeters, grain bins and HVAC units.
    o Waterproofing rivet seams.
    o Sealing of exposed and concealed joints of aluminum, steel, coated metals, wood, roof rails, and door hinges in transport equipment.
    o Sealing and caulking expansion joints, pre-cast concrete panel joints and joints between logs on
    log homes.