Re: [lro] Alternator conversion question

From: Keith Tanner (keith@miata.net)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 17:16:18 EDT

    >What engine in the Caddy?

    429. Last used in 1967. If I had the 472 introduced the year after mine was
    made, I could get anything.

    >The generator likely only needs brushes to put it back in
    >service - you sure you want to screw up a nice oriinal car?

    Actually, it appears it's not getting a voltage on the field (term?)
    Revving the engine doesn't give any change. It's probably just a bad
    connection somewhere that I haven't traced down. I don't know much about
    generators and I don't necessarily want to learn. I'd rather have proven,
    reliable tech.

    Originality isn't a big deal for the '66 Cadillac marketplace. They're the
    unloved stepchildren of the more glamourous '64 models. I paid $500 for
    mine and have put a fair bit of elbow grease but little else into it. Maybe
    I'll just pull the generator and regulator off the nice original parts car
    and stop screwing around testing things.

    Keith