Re: [lro] Which transmission?

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 09:26:16 EDT

    > I'm planning on converting my 109SW to a Mercruiser 3.0L engine. I have
    > a lot of ideas and questions and want to bounce them off the LRO list:
    > Where I need some help is in deciding what to do with the
    > gearbox/transfer case.

    Well you are starting with a GM power plant. How about a close ratio
    NP435? Chances are you will be able to find an off the shelf bell
    housing & clutch assembly that will be available in any auto parts
    store. It is a robust gearbox with parts available throughout North
    America and every transmission shop has someone with lots of rebuilding
    experience. BCB Offroad makes an adaptor to bolt it to a series
    transfer case. Add an Ashcroft kit or Roverdrive, 32 to 34 inch dia
    wheels and you should have nice highway and off road gearing. I ran
    the numbers on the close ratio NP435 and with the stock diff & 32 inch
    tyres low first provides a sweet off road ratio that would be close to
    perfect on a series rig for most common obsticals. Stock series IIA
    first gear is 3.60:1, close ratio NP435 first gear is 4.78:1.

    > Any 5 speeds that wouldn't need an overdrive?

    The SM4500 is your best choice if you have a 109 but is real long for
    an 88. You would need to make frame modifications to fit it & the
    special oil seems to cost its weight in gold. But it is a good box and
    has that nice overdrive fifth gear. The Roverdrive or Ashcroft kit
    would be way cheaper when all is said and done.

    TeriAnn J. Wakeman
          Marigold Ltd.
          www.marigoldltd.com