[lro] Which transmission?

From: Paul Schultz (pschultz@vcmails.com)
Date: Wed Apr 16 2003 - 00:00:46 EDT

    I'm planning on converting my 109SW to a Mercruiser 3.0L engine. I have
    a lot of ideas and questions and want to bounce them off the LRO list:

    Where I need some help is in deciding what to do with the
    gearbox/transfer case.

    The easiest option is to buy the Robert Davis conversion kit with the
    adapter, engine mounts, etc. and go with the stock gearbox/TC and either
    the Roverdrive or the Ashcroft Hi-speed TC. But, I don't like this as
    well because while my gearbox is quiet and tight it is _old_ and parts
    are only going to be more and more difficult to find in the US in the
    future. Also, a lot of my money would be invested in a relatively
    expensive modification to bring the overall gear ratio to an acceptable
    level (Roverdrive or Ashcroft). This money could be better spent on a
    new-to-me gearbox. This brings me to the other option of getting an
    American gearbox and use the Rover transfer case (again with an adapter
    between the two).

    So, what are my choices of American gearboxes that would bolt up to the
    Mercruiser/Iron Duke? Any 5 speeds that wouldn't need an overdrive?

    I like the idea of spending my money on a more robust American gearbox
    that would bolt up to the Mercruiser. This would make the drivetrain a
    complete American set-up with easy parts and repair availability.

    Finally, didn't the Chevy S-10 use the 2.5L Iron Duke? What gearbox did
    the S-10 with the Iron Duke use?

    My goal is to transform my 109SW into a more modern daily driver (I'm
    just concentrating on the drive train in this post.I realize all the
    other areas that will need updating as well).

    Anyway, enough of my ramblings. I'd appreciate any advise.

    Paul Schultz

    Series III 109SW