Re: [lro] replacing rear main seal

From: Ian Stuart (Ian.Stuart@ed.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Apr 15 2003 - 06:57:32 EDT

    On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 11:28, Scott Wickham wrote:
    > I think that was something like a feeler gauge to help guide in the cork
    > T seals. Get a set of dental picks to help get the spring connected and
    > onto the seal. And I had good luck with putting a small piece of cork
    > between the two halves of the seal retainer. Squish it between them and
    > then slip them onto the dowel pins, add bolts.
    These 'T' pieces are a real swine to install.

    From my own engine rebuild:
    "I don't have the special tool for fitting the cork pieces in the side
    of the bearing, so I resorted to the "feeler guage" method. Well, I
    tried to... 40 minutes later, and the d@mn thing is not in. Leave the
    cork in water to try to soften in whilst we have a coffee break. Try
    again.... Nope. Try the "beer can" method: cut some metal from a
    beer-can and smear in oil - the "plate" is wide enough to cover the
    whole width of the bearing, and thin enough to fit between the block and
    the bearing (with no cork)... still not going in! Tore the d@mn cork
    too! "Hot Dang" (or words to that effect!). Give up, and use the tdi
    method: fill the gap with silicon-sealer, fit, and then squirt more down
    the channels... Torque the bearing-bolts down.
    "

    The real special-tool is simply a pair of bevelled blocks that are
    bolted onto the bottom of the block, and gently squeeze the cork pieces
    as the block is pushed home.

    Having said that, my 2-ltr has not leaked any oil since my rebuild
    (>1000 miles)

    --
    --==++
    Ian Stuart, Perl Laghu: Edinburgh University Data Library.

    Information is not knowledge Knowledge is not wisdom Wisdom is not truth Truth is not beauty Beauty is not love Love is not music -- Mary.