Re: [lro] While I have the cylinder head out...

From: Peter Ogilvie (roverhi@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 01:18:28 EDT

    The mixture adjustment is only for idle mixture. Once
    the throttle is off the stops, the mixture is
    controlled by the size of the jets. Only adjustable
    by changing the jets for different sizes or drilling.
    I doubt that your sooty head is caused by the idle
    mixture. It could still be carb problems, like a
    stuck partially closed choke butterfly, but I'd be
    willing to bet the cause is elsewhere. Good advice to
    take the head to a machine shop and have them check it
    out.

    Can't remember, but are you the one with low
    compression in one cylinder?? If so, without serious
    evidence of cylnder problems, the only other source
    would be head problems.

    Aloha
    Peter O.