Re: [lro] While I have the cylinder head out...

From: Peter Ogilvie (roverhi@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 14 2003 - 02:07:31 EDT

    Head Thoughts
    As far as meat left in the head, it depends on what
    head you have. The early non extended head bolt boss
    heads are thin. Believe these were Series 2 heads and
    prone to cracking so doubtful that many are still
    around. Also, these were the only ones with the longer
    pushrods. Think this was the head that was sawed in
    two in the attached post fro Hank Rutherford. I've got
    one of these as my emergency backup. It has cracked
    and been welded.
    The 2a 7-1 heads have more meat and can be milled
    without a problem and still have enough meat left for
    additional machining. These are the ones that have an
    extended head bolt boss next to where the carb goes.
    AFAIK, these heads all came with the shorter pushrods
    and work just fine when the head is milled to 8-1.
    These heads were the same casting for 8-1 or 7-1, just
    the milling was different. We're talking 1962 or so
    for the introduction of this casting.

    Have heard there is an even later head casting that
    has even more meat. These are the best choice for
    milling beyond 8-1. I think these were introduced
    after Rover discontinued importing into the North
    American Market so doubtful that there are many of
    these around. Believe this is the casting that ACR
    uses to build their Stage II heads.

    If you do have a 7-1 head, from any casting, you will
    have to be sure there is clearance between the
    thermostat housing and the water pump after milling.
    Lay the head on the block without a head gasket and
    with a piece of paper between the head and the water
    pump. Grind off the top of the water pump housing till
    the paper no longer gets stuck between the two.

    As far as what you get for hp out of 8-1 over 7-1,
    it's a bit up in the air. Probably not a whole lot
    like maybe 3-4hp. Of course, 3-4hp in a grossly
    underpowered vehicle makes a noticable, though not
    breath taking difference. For the cost, it's more than
    worthwhile to mill the head.

    The below is a very helpful post from "H.Rutherford"
    that I picked up off the LRO list some years ago.
    Keep in mind that when he says 7-1 head, he's probably
    talking the old non extended boss head.

    A while back I modified a 7:1 head to 8:1 specs. In
    doing so, I collected some interesting info. Here
    goes:
    7:1 head is 3.700 in thick, chamber volume is 91 cc.
    8:1 head is 3.600 in. thick, chamber volume is 75.2 cc

    7:1 pushrod length overall, 7.300 in
    8:1 pushrod length 7.175 in overall (some parts
    suppliers are not able to tell you the difference
    between pushrods, just that they are different)

    Within the range of our interest, there is about 1.2
    cc change in volume per .010 in. change in thickness
    Milling .100 in. makes a 7:1 head 8:1. Almost exactly.
     Head gasket volume and volume above the piston crown
    is 4.25 cc. Swept volume of one cylinder is 571.5 cc.

    I sawed a 7:1 head into slices to measure casting
    thickness. I discovered that there is little material
    left between the waterways and the head face after
    milling the required .100 in. IMHO, I would NOT advise
    going any further as I doubt the head would hold up
    for long, I imagine cracks would develop on the head
    face. If you want a 9:1 CR, use an 8:1 head. The
    castings are definitely different, a stock 8:1 head
    has the same metal thickness in critical areas as a
    stock 7:1 before machining. I would advise obtaining
    a burette for measuring combustion chamber volume to
    be sure you don't go too far with CR. I can provide
    more info on CC'ing if you need it.

    If you modify a 7:1 to 8:1, use 8:1 pushrods.
    Otherwise the rocker geometry is off, and the
    possibility of fouling the rocker exists. By rocker
    geometry, I mean the angle that the rocker arm
    contacts the tip of the valve stem. If the longer
    pushrods are used in place of the shorter (correct)
    ones, the rocker arm depresses the valve with it's
    very tip, concentrating wear and forces at a place
    where the rocker was not designed to be operated.
    This can cause premature wear of the valve stem,
    unusual wear of the rocker arm, and failure (breakage)
    in extreme cases.
    H. Rutherford
    '62 SerIIa SWB

    Aloha