[lro] Jet fuel (was Double Cab)

From: C. Marin Faure (cmfaure@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2003 - 02:44:57 EDT

    From: Rick Grant <rickgrant@telus.net>
    Subject: Re: [lro] Double Cab

    >The Pratt and Whitney engines in the
    Twin Otter are the fabled PT-6 with its "just about never fail"
    record. That engine burns just about anything you want to put into it.

    I sometimes fly a plane with a PT6-A, and while that engine may burn (sort
    of) just about anything you want to put in it, in fact the only fuel you
    are supposed to use is Jet-A. There are no STC's that I'm aware of that
    allow the use of any other fuel in that engine. Unlike some of the older
    reciprocating engines, including versions of the Continental O-470 (Cessna
    180) and the P&W R-985 (Beaver) which have STC's allowing them to be
    operated on automotive grade gasoline. And engine mechanics are divided
    even on that issue. But using other fuels can seriously jeopardize the
    operation of the PT6-A, to say nothing of being "illegal." If the company
    where I fly was caught using anything but Jet-A in their PT6-A powered
    aircraft, the FAA would suspend their operating license pretty much
    instantly.

    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88