[lro] Defender 130 mileage (was Double Cab)

From: C. Marin Faure (cmfaure@earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2003 - 02:31:46 EDT

    From: Peter Ogilvie <roverhi@yahoo.com>
    Subject: Re: [lro] Double Cab
    To: lro@koan.team.net

    >Under military conditions, offroad, a Defender Diesel
    is not going to get 29mpg. Doubt if any Defender gets
    29mpg, even imperial gallons, on the road, in any
    case. Reports I've seen are mid 20's if driven
    reasonably, lower if you drive in the outside lane on
    the autobahn.

    The last time I drove our (diesel) D130 crew cab and measured the mileage
    in the UK the other year, it was getting about 19 mpg if I did the
    conversion from litres to US gallons correctly. The Commercial
    Discoveries, also diesel, that we use on some trips get in the mid to upper
    20s. For both types of vehicles, this was measured in a mix of local,
    country, and motorway driving. In the case of the D130, we are usually
    driving it with no load in it. The mileage drops off rather significantly
    when it's heavily loaded or towing a trailer.

    Same thing with the Commercial Discovery. On one trip we had a large,
    square cargo pod mounted on the roof rack, and the mileage went from the
    high 20s to barely 20. No big deal (yet) in the US, but in countries where
    you're paying the equivelant of nearly US$5 a gallon, a drop of five to
    eight mpg leaves a noticeable empty space in the wallet if you're doing a
    lot of driving as we tend to do on these trips.

    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88
      1991 Range Rover Vogue SE