Re: Re: [lro] winch website

From: bfishel@cisnet.com
Date: Sat Apr 12 2003 - 12:48:54 EDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Jean-Leon Morin <offroaddesign@softhome.net>

    > Legend has it that Warn bought Bellview, didn't modify the winch at all
    and
    > upped the rating to 8000 lbs. Mine's an early Warn, W8000 I believe. It's
    > beast, now that I've got a lot of current going to it (2/0 cable and
    optima)
    > it has really proven itself capable.

    When I first started looking for a winch I did some research on how they're
    rated. Most are rated on a rolling load method. That would be a vehicle on
    solid ground at 0 degree incline. Some were a rolling load on a 10 degree
    incline. Some of the industrial ratings were a dead lift or 90 degree
    incline.

    The rating is always given assuming the cable is on the first wrap of the
    drum. Rating decreases significantly for each additional wrap.

    Bill Fishel