Re: [lro] Double Cab

From: Rick Grant (rickgrant@telus.net)
Date: Sat Apr 12 2003 - 00:18:18 EDT

    Peter Ogilvie wrote
    >Don't know whether the military JP formula has more
    >lubricating ability and is closer to #2 diesel or all
    >the military diesels are set up to run on #1 style
    >fuel. I do know the JP designation has changed since
    >my days flying in the Navy. That is probably not
    >surprizing with all the improvements in chemistry and
    >fuel additive technology.

    This got me thinking Peter. I used to know all this stuff by heart for the
    flight tests and such just as you must have yet most of it escapes me
    now. But I am pretty sure that when I was in the Canadian Air Force the
    description of JP-4 that I was given was that it was just about all
    kerosene with some gasoline like compounds thrown in. I watched it being
    used on all the military jet a/c I trained on; C-114, T-33, CF-104. JP-4
    was the military standard in North America for just about all turbine
    engines. It may well still be, I don't know. I have seen vague
    references to some sort of "universal" military fuel called JP-10??? This
    is supposedly some magic fuel that can be used in all turbine engines
    without exception.

    JP-4 is pretty well the same as good old Fuel Oil #1 and anything designed
    to run on JP-4 will run on clean fuel oil, which is no different from kerosene.

    In the early seventies I spent a bit of time in the right seat of Twin
    Otters operating in the high arctic. The Pratt and Whitney engines in the
    Twin Otter are the fabled PT-6 with its "just about never fail"
    record. That engine burns just about anything you want to put into it. We
    would routinely call up the local home fuel oil heating contractor on
    arrival at a place like Baker Lake or Resolute or wherever and fill up on
    home heating fuel. Apart from some overhaul time issues with burning
    different fuels, including gasoline, there was no problem.

    JP-4 is a little more volatile than the present Jet-A/B fuels and over the
    years there have been serious concerns about its safety in a crash, but as
    far as I know it is still powering military turbines world wide.

                                              Rick Grant
                                            1959 SII 88"
                                            VORIZO

    Calgary Alberta