Re: [lro] Double Cab

From: Peter Ogilvie (roverhi@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 23:24:31 EDT

    Under military conditions, offroad, a Defender Diesel
    is not going to get 29mpg. Doubt if any Defender gets
    29mpg, even imperial gallons, on the road, in any
    case. Reports I've seen are mid 20's if driven
    reasonably, lower if you drive in the outside lane on
    the autobahn.

    The reason that the troops were screaming for fuel is
    the Abrams tank and other tracked vehicles that do get
    poor mileage. But then an Abrams weighs over 40 tons
    and gets 1mpg, btw. The military has set up their
    vehicles to all run on the same fuel. All the way
    from a C-5 transport, Blackhawk helicopter, to the
    Hummer. It's called JP something or other with the JP
    standing for Jet Petroleum.

    Most of the older diesel engines require #2 diesel
    which has pretty decent lubricating ability. It's
    probably the injector pump that needs it. It also
    burns very sooty in kerosene stoves, etc. #1 diesel
    is very close to kerosene. We used to use it
    interchangably with kerosene in all our kerosene
    burning heaters and lamps on our boat without any
    problems. Did not run it in our Volvo diesel,
    however.

    Don't know whether the military JP formula has more
    lubricating ability and is closer to #2 diesel or all
    the military diesels are set up to run on #1 style
    fuel. I do know the JP designation has changed since
    my days flying in the Navy. That is probably not
    surprizing with all the improvements in chemistry and
    fuel additive technology.

    Aloha
    Peter O.