Re: [lro] Double Cab

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Sat Apr 12 2003 - 00:33:54 EDT

    >Don't know whether the military JP formula has more
    >lubricating ability and is closer to #2 diesel or all
    >the military diesels are set up to run on #1 style
    >fuel. I do know the JP designation has changed since
    >my days flying in the Navy. That is probably not
    >surprizing with all the improvements in chemistry and
    >fuel additive technology.

    The common US Military jet fuels are JP-4, JP-5, and JP-8. JP-4 is
    a 1:1 mixture of heavy naptha fractions (essentially, gasoline) and
    kerosene. It's not really a substitute for diesel; though it will
    work for short term use. It's essentially the same as civilian
    Jet-B, except that JP-4 always contains anti-icing and anti-corrosion
    additives. Jet-B may or may not, depending on supplier and where
    it's procured. JP-5 and JP-8 are both 100% kerosene blends; they're
    very close to being the same fuel, except that JP-5 has a higher
    flash point (something about the navy being paranoid about fire on
    ships). They are suitable diesel substitutes. They're also
    equivalent to civilian Jet-A-1, except, again, for the additive
    package. (Jet-A is also much the same thing, except that it's got a
    higher freeze point) JP-8 is what the US military are standardizing
    on as the single fuel for battlefield operations (except on aircraft
    carriers) for air and land vehicles. I don't know how far they've
    actually gotten with the plan, though. Jet-A-1 is the universally
    available civilian jet fuel (except in the US, where Jet-A is more
    common.)

    I'd expect that in the event of a really serious, sustained war that
    they'd revert to using JP-4 in aircraft(they stopped in the late
    80's, I think, due to safety concerns), as it's a wider cut of crude
    (that is, more gallons of jet fuel per barrel of oil).

    David