[lro] Around the World in a Landy

From: Todd Schlemmer (nullman@centurytel.net)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2003 - 12:50:59 EDT

    Hello

    A year ago, Rob Maude and Chris Many set out to drive round the world from
    Inverness, Scotland. They procurred an ex-MOD 109 Land Rover from a farmer
    and modified the vehicle into an expedition camper. So far, they've driven
    across Siberia and Mongolia (in winter!!). They recently shipped "Pooch",
    their Landy, to Seattle and chose Vashon Island as a bivouac for the last 5
    weeks. They've been making repairs and collecting spares for the next leg
    of the trip: Alaska. After Alaska, it's south again and on to Patagonia,
    Argentina. Take a look in your atlas to get an idea of the enormity of
    distance these guys plan to cover. There is a 7-part travelogue by Rob,
    that starts at: http://www.adventure-spirit-tours.com/travelstories.php
    There is no set itinerary for the trip, so they might literally go anywhere
    in their go-anywhere vehicle.

    I should note that the prissy safari-gold 109 on that website is NOT what
    they are driving. I got some lo-rez pictures of Pooch and the Pooch-onauts:
    http://www.centurytel.net/nullman/pooch/ Chris Many is the blurry fellow in
    the Genghis Khan cap and Rob Maude is not.

    Following is a list of spares that Rob and Chris are seeking. These
    gentlemen are on a tight budget and used parts may be acceptable. They will
    be in the Seattle area no more than a week or so, from today. You can reply
    directly to Rob at rob_maude@hotmail.com. [comments in square brackets by
    Todd]

    All for Series III (1975) [12 volt] 109 , military version, 2.28 litre
    petrol engine

    waterpump (9 bolt version)
    distributor
    complete set of brake and clutch cylinders
    rubber gromets for propellor shaft [slip joint bellows]
    starter motor
    headlights with bulb inserts [not sealed beam, like euro H4]
    2 front heavy duty leaf-springs with bushes
    4 clamping plates and 8 U-bolts (longer for heavy duty springs)
    coolant drain plug on engine housing
    2 tyres {7.50x16 or metric equiv]
    oil sump temperature sender unit with cable

    We are also looking for something inexpensive to get us on the water
    (without the Landy!); either

    2 kayaks
    a 2-man kayak
    a canadian canoe