[lro] Transmission

From: William L Leacock (roverbilly@juno.com)
Date: Sat Apr 05 2003 - 09:17:47 EST

    John writes ; I'm stripping my spare gearbox, and I have a problem. What
    is the best way
    to extract the intermediate gear shaft? The manual shows a special
    puller,
    which, of course, I don't have. The last time I did this, part of the
    ear
    on the shaft broke, so I want to try to avoid a repeat of that mistake.

      I find that the shaft "usually" comes out very easily if you clean the
    area around the shaft end, spray a little WD40 or similar in the joint,
    remove the retaining plate (extract the stud first using the two nut
    locking technique if it has not come out with the nut) then rotate the
    shaft using channel locks or similar to free the joints, extraction is
    then simple.

    If the shaft appears to be tight, the application of some heat to the
    aluminium will soon create clearance due to the diferent expansion rates
    of the steel and aluminium. I have never had to resort to this technique
    in reoairing several hundred LR gearboxes.

    Regards
     Bill Leacock