[lro] Externally driven lathes, etc.

From: John M. Baker (jmbaker@bkk2.loxinfo.co.th)
Date: Sat Apr 05 2003 - 07:15:14 EST

    As long as we are on lathes and external power, etc., I might as well mention
    that in many parts of the world that is still common place. I was up in Burma
    a few years back and visited a steam rice mill that was essentially unchanged
    from a hundred years ago. Boiler and steam engine from Scotland, burning
    chaff, one light bulb in the place, and pulleys, shafts and belting all over
    the place. Oxcarts still bringing paddy in. Oh, and the owner had a satellite
    dish parked out the back! Land Rover content, saw more than a few Series I
    vehicles in very nice shape in Mandalay. There are a lot of shops in certain
    parts of China town that sell different size belting so it is still much in
    use here. I found some that was just right for the breakfast area.

    John
    Bangkok
    SIII 109 2.25 Petrol