Re: [lro] Dormant Dormobiles

From: David Scheidt (dmschei@attglobal.net)
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 23:46:27 EST

    >leather
    >> belt adapted to an idler shaft, adapted to a V belt!<<<
    >
    >Fred Dibnah's shop is leather belts and steam boiler power...

    I don't know when South Bend Lathe stopped selling machines meant to
    be driven by an external power source, rather than an electric motor
    attached to the machine, but it was sometime after WWII. Motive
    power (whether from steam, water, or hamsters in a wheel) was very,
    very expensive, so it made lots of sense to have many machines driven
    by one engine. A dozen horsepower will run a dozen or three machines
    in typical use, with all the power (or a big fraction, belts only can
    transmit so much power) available to any one machine for special
    purposes. Even today, when electric motors are cheap, sizing
    machines to do something you might want to do once a year would cost
    a fortune.