Re: [lro] AJR's new profession

From: Alan J. Richer (mrchurchill109@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 19:18:42 EST

    --- Kirk Hillman <hillman88@telus.net> wrote:

    > AJR,
    > So you actually have the Gingery series of books?
    > What are your overall
    > impressions of the quality/practicality of content?

    I'm impressed by them - Dave G. has done a great service to
    the mechanically-deprived.

    Now, they do assume several things, the first and foremost
    being that you have to have a clue - this stuff is not
    trivial to play with and could hurt you very badly if you
    screw up and don't take safety precautions.

    Secondly, he assumes you want to build everything from
    scratch - were I doing this I'd likely buy things like
    machinist's vises and the like because they're easily
    enough had.

    Third, if you're going to buy them buy the set - the first
    two or three books have all the tedious step-by-step
    instructions that he simply alludes to in later books.

    Now, this isn't going to build a lathe, mill or shaper you
    can swing a Rover block on, but for a hobbyist who really
    wants to learn from scratch they are an invaluable
    resource.

                  ajr

    =====
    The journey is the destination. Anything else is illusion.

    Please ignore the following advertising.....
    http://tax.yahoo.com