[lro] Parts purchase strategy

From: A. P. (Sandy) Grice (apg4@pinn.net)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 10:57:44 EST

    Keith Tanner <keith@miata.net> wrote:

    >I went through a very expensive learning process with Paddocks.

    >I learned that customer service is very
    >different in the UK than in the US.

    Quite so. Had a similar learning curve with their "Cr..." competitors.
    Needed the shortie starting handle for a capstan-equipped vehicle and they
    had one advertised in their five page spread in LRO for 5 pounds and
    change. A friend going to the UK on business said he had to go right by
    them, and he would purchase it and put in in his luggage. Gave him ten
    quid for his troubles.

    Of course, the item was "out of stock" and had to be backordered. Naively,
    he gave them his credit card....

    Six months later, still no starting handle, so I made one myself by cutting
    a regular one down. That week, the gen-u-wine one shows up. 35 freakin'
    pounds as it was a "special order" and another 25 pounds for 'handling' and
    postage. (This was regular mail...in a padded envelope....) 55 pounds for
    something priced at 5 pounds....

    When I called to complain, the bloke on the other end quoted the party line
    from their little red book of customer relations. Basically, told me to go
    pound sand. Had there not been an ocean between us, I would have paid his
    establishment a visit...like in low range through the showroom....

    Caveat emptor....