Re: [lro] Best bang for the buck to increase performance?

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Tue Apr 01 2003 - 11:01:09 EST

    > Problem is that even with that, it still feels anemic.
    > Down the road I plan on doing a V8 conversion

    Even an economy tuned small block V8 is a huge improvement, as is an
    inline six.
    It completely transforms the way the Rover handles. I guess that's why
    there was the stage I series III.

    > for it, but until then, I'm trying to see where my best bang for the
    > buck
    > is in increasing the performance of this particular Rover.

    Best bang for the buck for performance? Remove the hard top. If you
    have a 109 go to the smaller stock 88 tyre size (29"). Loose weight,
    effectively increase the overall gear ratio by going to smaller dia
    tyres.

    > I was considering going with the Turner cylider heads (I'm getting
    > tired of
    > adding lead substitute anyway) but wanted to see what thoughts the
    > rest of
    > you folks had.

    A series III head has enough "meat" on the underside to mill enough
    metal to raise compression a full point.

    Take the head down to your local automotive machine shop and have them
    mill it & add hardened valve seats. Way cheaper than paying Turner to
    do it plus the import costs.

    If you are feeling really energetic swap in a 2.5 cam & new timing
    chain.

    And do not forget to have your distributor checked for wear and
    functionality.

    > We're once again at 1 for 4 on 'Operational Rovers'

    Funny thing that. I long ago discovered that for me the number of
    operational vehicles I have is inversely proportional to the number of
    vehicles I have.

    That is why I have reduced the number of cars I own down to 2 (1960
    Land Rover & 1961 Triumph). When I had more it seemed that at least
    one and often 2 were not running most of the time. And I have decided
    that it is more fun to drive a car than to watch the spiders make webs
    between the steering wheel and instrument panel.

    TeriAnn J. Wakeman
          Marigold Ltd.
          www.marigoldltd.com