Re: [lro] Overbore 2.25?

From: MarkoNTL (marko.cosic@ntlworld.com)
Date: Fri Mar 28 2003 - 17:39:52 EST

    Peter Ogilvie wrote:
    > When you're talking the 2.25, the arguments for
    > square, which it is, to under or over square are
    > accademic. The shorter the stroke, in relation to the
    > bore, the less rotating mass. Great for turning lots
    > of RPM. A longer stroke in relation to bore is
    > supposed to give benefits for slow speed torque
    > situations though I don't understand why.

    Long-stroke doesn't mean low-speed torque, got nothing to do with it at all
    actually.

    The actual reason is that long-stroke engines tend to have smaller ports and
    valves (do favour low speed torque) due to the smaller bore and reduced
    room, whereas short-stroke engines tend to have bigger ports and valves
    ('cos they can fit 'em in the bigger bore space available). Put small ports
    and valves on a large-bore, short-stroke engine and it'll be a low-revving
    torque monster too, everything else being equal.

    Some interesting stuff, "debunks" a lot of mis-information out there.
    http://www.motionsoftware.com/minigide.htm