Re: [lro] See, it all figures...

From: Peter Ogilvie (roverhi@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 11:54:04 EST

    Ocean shipping is not billed by weight but by cube.
    The amount of freight a ship can carry is almost
    always limited by physical size of the cargo, not
    weight. Draining a few gallons of gas out of every
    car wouldn't even count as to the number of autos the
    ship could carry. It's limited by space. Possibly
    may effect the amount of HP and thus fuel to drive the
    ship, however. If they save a 100 pounds in fuel,
    that's 50,000#s less water that has to be displaced
    and pushed out of the way as the ship moves.

    There may be something to limiting the amount of
    gasoline that could spill. Twenty gallons of gas
    splashed on a deck full of vehicles could be enough to
    light the entire ship on fire. Of course most fuel
    leaks are pin hole corrosion that lets the gasoline
    drip out and evaporate before it can accumulate. A
    full tank is definitely less of an explosion hazard,
    however.

    Aloha
    Peter O.