Re: [lro] See, it all figures...

From: Richard Joltes (djoltes@attglobal.net)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 11:03:50 EST

    I talked to a bloke about this when I shipped Smudger to the
    USA. He said they were most concerned about two factors, i.e.
    weight and the possibility fuel would spill when rough seas
    were encountered or an accident resulted in a ruptured fuel
    tank. Less fuel in the tanks equates to less spillage.

    Figuring about 4kg (~9 lbs.) per (US) gallon of petrol, and an
    average auto holding ~15 gallons of fuel, and let's say 100
    autos per shipload, you could save up to 5700kg (12,600 lbs or
    6+ US tons) by draining all but 1 gallon of fuel from each one.
    That represents ~3 more cars or equivalent cargo tonnage per
    ship.

    cheers,

    dj
    1974 SIII Airportable, 'Smudger'