Re: [lro] Project Salisburly

From: Gbrovers@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 14:35:33 EST

    In a message dated 3/9/03 12:08:32 PM, cgj94@sympatico.ca writes:

    > My opinion of axles has always been they are cheap and easy to replace,how
    > strong do you have to make an axle before it is no longer the weak link in
    > the drivetrain? and what is the next item to go bang?
    > it may have been by accident but in my opinion Rover got it right.>

         Oh my god! I don't believe anyone really still believes this! Series
    rear axles break because they are made from average material, are poorly
    designed and have a marginal heat treatment. Answer this, if they were
    designed to "protect" the rest of the drivetrain or some specific part of it,
    exactly and specificly what part do you think they are protecting?
         As long as we are on the subject of Salisbury axles, which have much
    stronger axles shafts than a Rover style shaft. Lets assume the premise is
    correct that Rover axle shafts are protecting "something". Based on this one
    would assume that this "something" would break more often on a Rover equipped
    with a Salisbury rear axle since it isn't being "protected" anymore. Can you
    tell me what breaks more often under these circumstances?
         Again, lets assume Land Rover engineers, designed a Rover rear axle
    shaft as a fuse. When they started offering Salisbury axles, you would assume
    that they would upgrade something else in the drivetrain to compensate for
    it. Whats different in the drivetrain of Sal equipped rig. The answer is
    nothing, so I think it fair to conclude that this quaint and endearing myth
    about Rover rear axles to be just that - a myth.

    Bill
    GBR