Re: [lro] Project Salisburly

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 13:39:56 EST

    > Here are some comments concerning this post.

    Bill, thanks for the heads up. I will digest this as follows...

    > Also the spline count of the pinion gear is different unless you
    source
    > a pre 1970 Dana 60, which has the same coarse spline pinion. The later
    Dana's
    > have a fine spline pinion, a 29 spline if memory serves correctly. This
    > different pinion spline count means that you cannot use a Rover driveshaft
    > because you need to use an end yoke and convert your existing driveshaft
    to a
    > weld yoke style. The outer pinion bearing is also different.

    Didn't know about the outer bearing, thank you. The driveshaft isn't a big
    issue. There is an excellent driveline shop in Ottawa that has access to all
    the "oddball" spicer modifier U joints, which allow one to run a mismatched
    driveshaft and rear end - as in different series of yokes. Since the rover
    driveshaft is but an assembly of Spicer/Dana parts and the Dana 60 is from
    the same stable there should be an adapter U joint that would work. If not,
    they can make them (Which admittedly is no good for my application, I want
    something available) Since the rear driveshaft is so long on the 109, I'm
    not worried about interference and clearance issues, there is at the most a
    20 degree range in operating angles, probably closer to 15 from full bump to
    full droop.

    > The Salisbury Dana 60 may not be the strongest Dana 60 axle but is
    isn't
    > the weakest either. Dana's and Salisburys both have strong points and weak
    > points. Most Dana 60's have 2 pinion carriers as opposed to Salisbury's,
    > which have a a 4 pinion carrier so in this case a Salisbury is much
    stronger.
    > Lots of Dana 60's are semi-float axles especially the van applications
    (and
    > you are looking for an offset van application), Salisbury's are all full
    > floats. Most Dana 60's have 1.281"/30 spline axles vs a Salisbury 1.24"/24
    > spline but remember if all things are equal i.e. same diameter, material
    and
    > spline size , a full float axle is slightly stronger than a semi-float so
    the
    > difference between the two sizes isn't a large as it may seem. You are
    > correct, that 1.5 inch/35 spline Dana 60's are fairly scarce and very
    > desirable and usually very pricey.

    I was aware of the 2/4pin carrier issue, however since the Dana 60 stuff is
    so easy to find ( I already have a spare high gear split carrier) and I'll
    eventually be replacing the carrier with an aftermarket locker that will be
    much stronger, it is not a concern. The axles I am looking at are all full
    float. I had to check a lot of different models, but I found that the super
    long versions of the vans had an offset rear that is indeed a full float
    rear. I would never trade the full floating design as it has saved my bacon
    many times before.

    > If you convert a Dana 60 to use in your Rover instead of a Salisbury,
    > you can easily end up with an axle assemble that has stronger axles but a
    > weaker carrier assembly.

    Understood, however, there is the possibility of upgrading the carrier to a
    stronger aftermarket locker (which I would like to do anyways) and I might
    not have to invest in aftermarket axles AND a locker. Since the stock 30
    spline axles should be adequate for strength (not saying that there is a
    great difference in strength between the Salisbury and the D60, but there is
    a slight strength increase due to the larger minor diameter of the splines
    and the larger outer diam) I may never have to upgrade the axleshafts.

    > Don't pull the tubes, Keith already explained why. You need a very
    large
    > special press and a very large spot welder to reattach them.

    Noted. I'm no longer planning on doing this... Thanks for the info, much
    appreciated, Keith and Bill...

    > Shortening an axle shaft is cheap but resplining it is not and most
    > machine shop don't have hobbing equipment. Also its not a good idea to
    > respline an axle shaft that is already heat treated. Heat treatment is
    > generally measured in two ways. First is the Rockwell C rating of the
    > surface. This is the actual hardness. The second is the depth of
    penetration
    > of the heat treat. What this means is that the further you go into the
    heat
    > treated part, the softer the rating becomes until you get to metal that is
    > not actually hardened. A good heat treatment penetration for an axle is 18
    > 23% penetration. So if you respline an axle shaft you are machining into
    the
    > hardest and strongest part of the shaft. A solution would be to
    reheat-treat
    > the part but this is not inexpensive either.

    I'm trying to get a shaft that will work, from off the shelf. The long side
    ends up being grotesquely long because of the offset, I'm wondering if a
    centered 30 spline rear with a 65" WMS might net me the right length. I
    don't suppose you have a Spicer Dana book that would list part numbers and
    overall lengths? That would be excellent.

    Thanks again Bill, you truly are a wealth of information and it's nice to
    see that some vendors posess a deep understanding of how their products are
    made. You are a wealth of information, one day, when I'm not having to pay
    bus fare in pennies, you'll definitely be getting some of my business!

    But, for now, I'll keep fiddling.

    J-L