Re: [lro] Stock vs Parabolic for restoration

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 12:16:07 EST

    > With this in mind, I am seeking the best possible street comfort
    > spring solution
    > (and shocks).

    I'm a great fan of high density plastic sheets layered between the
    leaves of new stock springs.
    The plastic is almost as slippery as teflon, is designed specifically
    to lower friction on metal to metal sliding surfaces and is almost
    unnoticeable when installed.

    This allows the leaves to move freely in relation to one another and
    softens the ride. They seem to match well with stock shocks.

    Your stated goal is a restoration so genuine or OEM is the order of the
    day.

    > Please contribute to my information pool.

    Splash!

    >> ALso, right about now the magic word "Polybushes" should be
    >> running through your mind...

    The magic phrase is: grease-able polybushes

    Polybushes do not stand up well to heat which strangely enough is what
    is generated when the suspension is moving and the grease applied at
    installation has faded away. What you need are polybushes that have
    grooves in them for holding grease AND special bolts with grease
    fittings and a hole to lube the bushings. Oh and you need to get
    around to greasing them on occasion.

    The advantage of polybushes is that they remove very easily so
    replacing them is a snap. They are not as good at absorbing high
    frequency suspension vibrations as rubber bushings and if they go dry
    do not last anywhere as long as rubber bushings. But they are easy to
    replace when they go dry and they look cool. Of course you would loose
    concourse points with yellow or red bushings. So since you are talking
    about a proper restoration and putting very low miles on the vehicle,
    rubber bushings should last a very long time and gladden the heart of a
    concourse judge.

    TeriAnn J. Wakeman
          Marigold Ltd.
          www.marigoldltd.com