Re: [lro] Stock vs Parabolic for restoration

From: Gbrovers@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 12:03:16 EST

    In a message dated 3/21/03 8:21:24 AM, andylit@covad.net writes:

    > My final goal is a true restoration, not a rebuild. I realize that this
    > precludes the use of parabolics, but I must consider final ride (that's why
    > I'm
    > installing the Fairey). I intend the truck to be showroom perfect, but I
    > also
    > want a pleasurable driving experience. I am willing to make non-visible
    > concessions to modernization if the functionality is truly enhanced.

    Whoops sorry about that I have updated email software that automaticly sends
    your email if you don't do anything for a few minutes and I got a phone call.
    Ihaven't figured out how to turn off this feature.

    Anyway I'll start over>

          Andy
         I wouldn't worry too much about doing a correct restoration and
    parabolics. The criterion I use is if I can easily "undo" the modification.
    Springs fall into that category. You just unbolt them and put back on the
    original springs. Other similar mods in this category are electronic
    ignitions (Pertronics), radial tires, better bolt in axles, traction diffs
    etc. Mods not in this category are engine swaps, transmission swaps, axle
    assembly swaps, anything that requires cutting and welding on the frame such
    as a custom power steering set up.
         I'm restoring a 1951 80 inch and its getting radial tires, a Pertronics
    ignition, 4.1 diff gears, Quaiffe diff in the rear. No parabolics but only
    because they aren't available for the early 80 inch rigs but if they were, I
    certainly would install them. I'm saving all of the old parts so if I ever
    sell it and someone wants a totally correct rig they can easily convert it
    back.

    Bill
    GBR