Re: [lro] Yellow knob questions

From: Rick Grant (rickgrant@telus.net)
Date: Thu Mar 20 2003 - 16:47:52 EST

    I agree, you are probably already in 4High.

    On my Series II the distance from the hole in the transmission cover to
    about the bottom of the yellow knob is approx 3.5 inches when in 2WD.

    If you are in 2wd the yellow knob shaft should rattle around quite
    loosely. When it is depressed in position it does not waggle about.

    If you take the right floorboard out you will be able to see how the yellow
    knob shaft operates through a bellcrank to manipulate a shaft that sits in
    a recess at the top of the selector box. If you are in 4wd that shaft will
    be lying flat down in the recess.

    Forgive me for the obvious, but you have moved the red knob fully back in
    an attempt to change back into 2wd, right?

    If you find that you seem to be stuck in 4wd then remove the sheet metal
    cover at the front of the selector unit and clean up the mechanism.

    I just recently went through all this and the hardest part was getting the
    fasteners in the floor out.

    Rick Behning wrote

    >I purchased a new spring for my yellow knob, as my rover did not have one
    >when I purchased it. The spring, which came from British Pacific, was way
    >too long to go on the shaft, or so it seamed. So I was thinking maybe the
    >shaft broke off in the threads some where, which forced the previous owner
    >to not replace the spring. So my question is how long should the threaded
    >portion of the shaft be, how long should hte spring be, and why doesn't my
    >four wheel high engage when the lever is not held up by the spring?

                                              Rick Grant
                                            1959 SII 88"
                                            VORIZO

    Calgary Alberta