[lro] Re: Tough going question...

From: offroaddesign@softhome.net
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 11:18:30 EST

    Kirk Hillman writes:

    > Chains are amazing things. I have a full set of four for the Rover,
    > those big nasty V-block kind used on 18 wheelers and logging trucks. The
    > rear problem I have encountered with them is that they can get SO much
    > traction that the 2.25 couldn't turn the wheels. My cousin and I went out
    > west (Rocky Mountains) to play one day last year and chained up. The snow
    > was up to our waists and deep enough to be pushing over the bonnet but
    > somehow we played around all day. Anything steep was impossible (9% or
    > more). We even broke a grade 70 chain trying to get up the last hill with
    > the winch. Oh, the good 'ol days!

    I've got a set of chains that I modified to fit over the bigger tires that
    are on Valdez. They're from the canadian military, not V bar but twist link
    and they DIG. I blew the rear end on Valdez (In the process of being built -
    stay tuned for juicy details) with the chains on. I couldn't believe how the
    truck would keep going through bumper deep snow, and Valdez's bumper is high
    off the ground.

    With a diff lock in the rear and a stout rear end, the chains will be even
    more effective. I can't even imagine how they would perform on a fully
    locked vehicle, when on all four wheels!

    J-L