Re: [lro] Tough going question...

From: Kirk Hillman (hillman88@telus.net)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 09:46:48 EST

    > If the Rovers chains fit the Bronco, I may try to venture out today. The
    > road hasn't been plowed since yesterday morning, and there must be at
    > least 4' here now, so I won't go without chains.

    You could always winch to light posts... :-) Just make sure you winch
    to the very base lest it be toppled over on you. That would be hard to
    explain sometime in the future when they come to recover your vehicle.
        Chains are amazing things. I have a full set of four for the Rover,
    those big nasty V-block kind used on 18 wheelers and logging trucks. The
    rear problem I have encountered with them is that they can get SO much
    traction that the 2.25 couldn't turn the wheels. My cousin and I went out
    west (Rocky Mountains) to play one day last year and chained up. The snow
    was up to our waists and deep enough to be pushing over the bonnet but
    somehow we played around all day. Anything steep was impossible (9% or
    more). We even broke a grade 70 chain trying to get up the last hill with
    the winch. Oh, the good 'ol days!

    Kirk