Re: [lro] Violent Steering Shake

From: William J. Rice (jarvis64@juno.com)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 07:43:03 EST

    I've had this happen to me twice, once while driving a Mitch STockdale's
    88, and once while driving my 109. Well, lots of times with each really.

    On Mitch's 88, the bolts holding the steering arm to the swivel ball
    housing had worked their way loose and so one wheel was sort of
    "flopping" in relationship to the other.

    On my truck, everyone said, "alignment," but I knew too much to believe
    that. Alignment! Ha! So I took out some shims from the swivel pins.
    Then I noticed the steering box was a bit loose on the bulkhead.
    Tightened it. Then I replaced some tie rod ends. Then I tightened up
    the steering relay. Then I replaced lots of the swivel ball components.
    Then I did the alignment and that fixed it.

    bill