[lro] Violent Steering Shake

From: Patrick Parsons (patrickparsons@hawaii.rr.com)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 03:20:50 EST

    This has happened to me once, my sister once and now my dad. When it
    happened to me after hitting a pothole, I thought it was an isolated
    incident, but just heard from the other two, so now time to do something
    about it...

    Symptom/Problem:

    Driving down the road in a 2000 D110 Tdi, the steering wheel will jerk side
    to side violently, and it seems as if the front axle is bouncing up and
    down. When it happened to me, I was going about 35-40 Km/H and had just hit
    a minor pothole. When it happens, the truck just goes in a straight line,
    except for the steering wheel being jerked around in one's hands. It isn't
    as if the whole truck is shaking side to side in the lane. When it happened
    to them they were just going down the road at 50+Km/H, no pothole that they
    felt.

    The truck drives straight and solid, and doesn't exhibit the typical "out of
    balance" shimmy that sometimes happens with wheels that aren't balanced.

    Any ideas? I told my dad to check the tie-rod ends and next I'll suggest a
    new steering dampener.

    --pat.