[lro] re-skinning doors

From: Simon Harding (sjharding@schulte-law.com)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 13:30:51 EST

    Anyone actually done this? Can you offer any advice? I have a set of non
    genuine middle doors for my 109. I had them modified slightly
    (strengthened) and am having them galvanized now. I have my old door skins,
    which are in good shape, as well as the skins that came with the new doors.
    I unbent the crimps just enough to remove the skins. I was looking at a LR
    mag recently and saw an article on rekinnin in which they used a caulk like
    adhesive when re-skinning. I am wondering if this is necessary? Have any
    members who have reskinned their doors noticed rattles, or shifting of the
    door skin, having not used an adhesive? Seems like using it would create a
    PITA if teh skins ever need to be removed again. I was thinking of using
    strip caulk - the non hardening stuff, and doing the job in hot weather, so
    it will compress well, or not using any such stuff.

    Otherwise, I'll just be re-crimping, using a flat surface/block of 2 by 4,
    and a flat faced hammer.

    Simon