Re: [lro] It is aliiiiiiive!

From: ynotink (ynotink@qwest.net)
Date: Sun Mar 02 2003 - 16:42:32 EST

    It's a little more complicated than that. The later canister type filter was a
    full flow unit. That is to say that all of the oil coming from the pump is
    forced to flow through the filter which means the oil supplied to the bearings
    etc. is all filtered. The earlier filter merely diverts a certain portion
    (10-20%????) of oil from the supply gallery, filters it and drops it back into
    the pan. Thus only part of the oil is filtered at any one time and the oil is
    not filtered before it hits the bearings. Any filter that is not full flow
    retains the disadvantages of the original partial flow filter. I took Todd's
    question to be whether the full flow filter could be adapted to the earlier
    engine.

    Bill Lawrence