Re: [lro] Vehicle Hire/Insurance question

From: Mike Rogers (MikeRogers@mattishall.org.uk)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 11:42:45 EST

    Firstly thanks to all of you that responded on and off list with advise.

    A few of you asked to be updated on what I managed to sort out.

    Hire car insurance appears to hold a lot of scope for being ripped off, 20
    USD a day is not an uncommon price quoted by the hire companies, but you can
    buy all the cover you need from a domestic insurance company for less than
    10 USD per day. In the UK try Shop Safe on 01895 833338 They have quoted me
    126 Pounds Sterling for 21 days cover.

    Trying to hire a Discovery really brings out the top hire charges. The best
    I could find in Denver was 60 USD per day, no weekly discounts, and plus the
    above insurance. We have therefore decided to put the Land Rover loyalty to
    one side and have hired a Chevy Blazer.

    I have never driven one and have little idea what they are like, but at
    least it is not Jap, or is it?

    SWMBO however likes the look of the thing. The good part is that the Blazer
    with all the insurance we could want, for two drivers, with a full tank of
    fuel paid for, delivered to our first night hotel, complete with all US
    taxes comes in at 30.50 Pounds Sterling per day all in. That's about 49 USD,
    or only 29 USD more than the insurance alone was going to cost on the
    previous best quote for an Explorer.

    Mike Rogers
    Lightweight/Range Rover Hybrid
    2A TD+I
    Keeper of the UK LRO "Who's where" list
    "If you can't get there in a Land Rover, you can't get there.