Re: [lro] Axles and Diesel gearing (was: Forward control question)

From: Peter Hope (peterhope@charter.net)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 09:29:42 EST

    > Also, I've noticed that in the case of Dodges with Cummins diesels and
    > Fords with Powerstrokes the rear-end gearing options they mention are
    still
    > the standard 3.7 and 4.1. I assume this must mean that the transmission
    > gearing is somehow different with these engines. Does anyone know any
    more?

    I would be very interested in this.
    I know that with the older diesel engines they put a higher gear ratio in to
    balance because the power band being lower in the rpm range compared to a
    gasser.

    I do know that the Ford can be had with 3.73, 4.1, and 4.3 as a gasser but
    only 3.73 and 4.1 with the diesel. The 7.3 powerstroke uses the same manual
    tranny as the gas engine. I dont know the specs on the auto. The new 6.0
    liter Powerstroke (560ft.lbs of torque baby :) has an entirely new tranny.
    The GM duramax also has a different tranny from the gas drive train, but I
    read this was because of the power output.
    Hmmm, ya know that 6.0 liter power stroke sure does look like it would fit
    into a defender engine bay ;)

    Pete